Pages

Saturday 30 September 2017

Half a day in Singapore

I worked an extra shift, I was rostered on, yet I accepted the overtime and made my life really difficult. I was off for a long weekend in Hong Kong with a layover in Singapore - it was definitely worth it.


I stayed back at work and printed out all my readings for my last uni unit, my flight and hotel details and a HK MRT map that included directions to my hotel. Then in my rush to leave work full of joy, I stupidly left all printed material in a neat pile on my desk - arrrgh.

So I arrived in Changi Airport at 4:30 am, I was really tired and found a quiet length of carpet for a short sleep, there wasn't much going on in the airport at that time and most shops were shut.

I had my alarm set for 6 am and got going to an airport also just waking up. Over the years I had spent so much time in Changi Airport so hanging around was an option so by 7:30 am I was on the MRT headed for Chinatown.

Lugging my hand luggage, I had already gotten in trouble for being 2kg over weight. I felt the ache in my shoulder; 9kg isn't that heavy so what was this soreness in my shoulder? I wandered the streets of Chinatown before heading across to Boat Quay and a short walk to Marina Bay.

By 9:00 am the Singapore tropical sun was causing plenty of sweat, I was enjoying watching all the office workers scurrying like mad trying to get to work on time. By the time I was walking past the Merloin.

The novelty of late office workers had already worn off, I was covered in sweat and ready for the air conditioned comfort of the Marina Bay Sands shopping complex.

My plan was to have breakfast at TWG Tea, wander around the shops for a while and then catch the MRT back to Changi Airport for a 3:15 boarding. I really enjoy their red berry South African tea and whilst a red curry barramundi is an unusual choice of breakfast - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Catching the morning train ensured the carriages were crowded but I was planning on the afternoon rush to not start too early leaving me plenty of time to get back. For me, this was an ideal way to spend my stopover in Singapore, all I had to do was not miss my flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment