Pages

Saturday 15 April 2017

aquaVenture dive resort - Mabini, Philippines

My first stay at aquaVenture dive resort was in 2012, my next trip to Anilao saw me staying elsewhere before returning to aquaVenture in 2014 as I absolutely loved the place. I now learn a 5.9 magnitude earthquake has devastated the area last Saturday night and Mabini has been closed down until further notice.


My concern is not so much about the dive resort I love to stay when in Anilao but the people who live and work in the area whose employment and well being depends upon a vibrant tourism industry.


The resort is a dedicated dive resort, my preference is to stay during the week when the resort is close to empty as the weekends are full of Manila based divers down for the weekend. This gives me the opportunity to interact with the staff as I can sometimes be the only person staying in the resort. The weekends barely have vacant rooms so I usually depart on Friday afternoon after two morning dives leaving space available for Manila based divers. 

My choice is based on logistics, the resort will take a banca boat out for a single diver and I am more than happy to dive from the smallest banca. Furthermore, I have the ability to choose dive sites, departure times and the number of dives per day, usually two before lunch before returning for lunch and a double dive in the afternoon. 

The pool area is pretty scenic although I prefer to not hang around there as the sundeck faces West with terrific sunsets on a daily basis. Although it is a hassle to get bottles of wine to Mabini, it is worth the effort sitting out on the sun deck watching an awesome sunset. I really hope aquaVenture is up and running again soon, all staff and family are safe and they have continued employment at this great dive resort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment