Pages

Saturday 21 April 2018

Amed just before Christmas

The eruption of Mt Agung on the Indonesian resort island of Bali made worldwide news with airlines ceasing flights due to safety concerns emanating from the volcanic ash cloud pluming from the volcano and hovering above the airport. The reports on the Channel 7 nightly news at 6 pm ran emotional stories of stranded at Ngurah Rai International Airport just wanting to return home.


This was over done, a couple of nights sleeping at the airport isn't such a major inconvenience compared to the plight of ordinary Indonesian residences evacuated from the surrounds of Mt Agung. Still, I had a decision to make as I was booked at the Anda Amed Resort on the north east coast relatively close to the active volcano from the 17th to the 23rd of December before heading down to Legian for the final two days at the Jayakarta Resort.

The clientele of Amed is predominantly French, German, Dutch and British with the Americans preferring Ubud and the Australians congregating down in Kuta. This is my pre-Christmas end of year trip to kick back, sit around the pool, drink some alcohol and eat well. I'm not interested in exploring the island to any great extent as I come here on a regular basis and have done this already.

I am here to kick back, unwind from my battles with recalcitrant managers and relax. I leave my phone behind, reduce my social media usage although I do bring my dive equipment and do some rafting from time to time. Amed is very quiet compared to the party and nightlife dominated area of Kuta.

I couldn't believe it, the beautiful Anda Amed Resort was totally empty in peak season leading into Christmas with every client except myself cancelling. When I booked in early September on Booking.com I had to make a quick decision, the last bungalow was available but people were searching.

The other resorts in the area were fully booked and I had limited options even though Anda Amed Resort was my first choice. Naturally, it doesn't hurt to search and negotiate to find a better deal or bargain.

So here I was in this wonderful small private resort of just ten bungalows with the run of the place. As we drove into Amed after being picked up from the International airport for our two and a half hour drive north to Amed we were amazed at the lack of activity.

All the resorts, restaurants and businesses were dark, this was arojnd 10 pm so no chance of picking up a meal now as my budget flight didn't provide a meal and I never purchased one on-board. I feel sorry for the resort owners and staff but from a personal viewpoint - it doesn't get better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment