Pages

Thursday 11 February 2016

A Perth heatwave - so what?

Perth is a hot city in summer; I like it, but plenty don't - that's unfortunate for them. Our recent run of hot weather has seen the issue discussed extensively but we all know February is the hottest month is the hottest month of the year - so why is this news? People were complaining about the heat on Sunday, I headed down to the Swan River for the afternoon with the gentle breeze coming off the water refreshing me, I spent the time with a book sitting on the grass in the shade; I brought my computer down to and worked on an educational paper.


The evening lows are pretty good too with mid 20s at night, but by the way the media is carrying on, it's like we are the hottest place in the world. Perth is located on the south-west coast and usually protected from the extreme heat, the climate is Mediterranean with a fresh breeze usually floating across the Indian Ocean - this week it isn't.


A series of high pressure systems are sitting in the Great Australian Bight forcing hot winds back over the west coast from the desert. The hot winds are cancelling out the sea breeze and temperatures are rising, I think about my friends in the northern hemisphere trapped in the the freezing conditions of ice and snow - give me the sun any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment