Pages

Saturday 24 May 2014

Penfolds Bin 9

Perth had been experiencing heavier than usual late autumn rains; the temperature was sure to drop with all the moisture around, the only saviour being the the cloudy skies possibly locking some of the little warmth that had developed during the day on the rare occasion the sun poked through the clouds during the day.


I originally thought it's been ages since I have knocked the cap off a Bin 9 cabernet sauvignon because I couldn't remember drinking one in a long long time; I was surprised to find out this is a relatively new addition to their range, the 2012 Bin 9 is their first release. A little research found I had mistaken the Bin 8 Cabernet Shiraz, first released in 2003 with the bottle perched alongside me.

The Bin 9 is an excellent example of South Australian wine making with the majority of fruit sourced from the McLaren Vale region, reviewing the tasting notes, I also see fruit was sourced from the Langhorne Creek, Barossa, Padthaway, Barossa Valley, Coonawarra and Wrattonbully regions. 

The deep ruby colour ensures one needs to be very careful around clothes, vehicle paint or any object likely to become stained. The wine was drinking well now, I couldn't distinguish big tannins or acid holding this wine together, I expect a medium term cellaring potential only, probably 3 -5 years max. Viewing the tasting notes, I stand corrected - the Penfolds team believes this wine may be cellared right up to 2015.

Fine oak flavours shine through with hints of cedar, an overarching blackcurrent note with mixed spice in the aftertaste. Once again viewing the tasting notes, I see the Bin 9 was matured for 12 months in French and American oak hogsheads with 12% new French oak and 15% new American oak. I liked it and will be buying in the future - this time, I will have done my research and will pay the right price at my usual choice of bottle shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment