Pages

Wednesday 16 April 2014

VR Technology closed for business

I am a big fan of VR Technology computers; I own an older VR3 dive computer hoping to upgrade to the VRx when the time came, that being said, my VR3 has a lot of life left. VR Technology is now no longer trading, this is, of course, an unfortunate turn of events for technical diving in general.


I currently have the opportunity to purchase a near new computer; I might well now take up the offer now, computers in this condition won't come up for sale too often. It wasn't the time frame I was looking at, but I will now have to accelerate my purchase.


VR Technology was at the forefront of technical diving from its infancy to present day; well known for their dive computers, their range of rebreathers was and still is cutting edge. It appears Vobster Marine Systems in the United Kingdom will supply PINs and some limited servicing capability to dive computers. Their main role will be to manufacture, support and service the range of Sentinel rebreathers as per their licence agreement.


It would appear the Ouroboros rebreather will no longer be supported to any great degree, even though the unit ceased production in 2010, I believe a strong community dives the units with approximately 120 sold overall. However, it appears Vobster Marine Systems is willing to support these rebreathers where possible when viable orders for parts are received.


I first met VR Technology owner, Kevin Gurr at Professional Sports Divers of Guam when guys like Kevin, Captain Billy Deans and other IANTD personnel were out searching for a Spanish galleon presumed sunk in the area with a supposed load of Inca gold and silver on board. Since then, I have met Kevin at a number of dive shows and technical diving conferences. I didn't know it at the time, but this was one of a number of proving grounds for technical equipment and procedures in a fledgling industry. Kevin's tireless work has significantly progressed closed circuit rebreather and computing technology benefiting the technical and wider diving community. I am neither a friend or colleague of Kevin, I seriously doubt he would even recognise me despite the fact I have met him on numerous occasions - I certainly acknowledge Kevin's service to the industry.


I was busy undertaking my IANTD Technical Nitrox (extended range) course with Simon Pridmore, owner of Professional Sports Divers of Guam. Simon was performing a large number of exploratory dives with trimix at the time, Simon was the IANTD franchisee for Micronesia at the time and now a regional training director. Simon is a leading dive author publishing a number of dive books and is regularly published in dive magazines and journals. The pioneering of the technical diving community was taking place in Guam as well as Florida, Maine, Red Sea and the United Kingdom. For me, it was a great time to be involved in the technical diving community, a chapter of the evolution of technical diving has now closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment